Film 2008

{ Posted on 13:53 by Tom 'E' }
Well Happy New Year and a whole lot of stuff to talk about regarding the film industry ey? As you can see from my title, due to the whole Jonathon Ross - Russell Brand faff that happened earlier in the year I've taken it upon myself to deliver, to you, my film review of 2008.

So the big money makers last year were:
• Iron Man
• Indiana Jones
• Sex and the City
• Hancock
• Mama Mia
• The Dark Knight
• High School Musical 3
• Quantum of Solace
• Madagascar 2

All these films, in the UK alone bad surplus of £8,000,000 (that's eight million!) on their opening weekend. I'd like to say I'm enough of a film buff to have watched all of these and be able to give you a good review. Unfortunately I'm not, and can't think of anything worse than having to sit through a feature length rendition of Sex and the City. I also have an irrational hatred of musicals so that's Mama Mia and High School Musical 3 out of the question!

So what's left? We've got Iron Man, Indiana Jones, Hancock, Quantum of Solace and Madagascar 2. Yet again I'm a bit of a let down as I haven't seen Indiana Jones or Madagascar 2. Indiana Jones I feel should have been left in the 90's - that's my poor excuse for not watching that. However, I feel like I've let myself down by not going to watch Madagascar 2. I thought the first Madagascar film was borderline Shrek in its genius so I have no reason not to have seen it, except its not been out that long. But be sure I'll review it when I do!

Personally for me the film of the year without a doubt was The Dark Knight. As much of a tragic story followed the films production. The final piece of footage was the best I've seen for some time. That's why I want to save that film for last. However, Batman - a comic book hero. Iron Man - a comic book hero. Hancock - not a comic book hero, but a superhero non the less. The
trend into turning superheroes into film stars is something that has been evolving over the last 10 years.

On the release of the first Spiderman film and other early comic book films I found myself sitting in cinemas feeling that they were making films purely to show off new technology in film making. They were all just glamorised comic books. However, this latest incarnation of comic book films from DC, Marvel and the like really have started to get my attention.

I'd like to start with a brief review of Hancock - reason being, I felt it was a little bit of a disappointment. The film was given great publicity just before and on its release. Having one of the most established actors of the last decade, Will Smith, certainly convinced a lot of people they were in for a quality film. Normally, if I don't like a film, I don't talk about it. I find criticising the work of a few hundred Hollywood geniuses slightly hypocritical just because I don't like it. However, with Hancock, it wasn't that it was a bad film, it checked all the boxes, but for some unknown reason, for me, it just didn't work.

Hancock had a great story line, it had great special effects, it had great comedy scenes, it had great action scenes and it even had a good twist. Despite this something was missing. The film initially dragged me in via its trailers on the big a slightly smaller screens. The trailers showed two seriously attractive prospects. Firstly, an action film with some Will Smith comedy, we know from experience that's almost a sure hit. Secondly, a bad-ass super hero? Hancock seriously took the stereotypical and turned it upside down, inside out, gave it half a bottle of scotch and a brown paper bag. I think anyone that has the balls to walk into a production office and mention the words "How about a film where a homeless alcoholic with super human strength and the ability to fly occasionally beats up some bad guys?" must have a good concept within their head.

Despite the craziness of the idea I think this film could have been a classic. However, I feel that its amazing appeal also had a lot to do with its demise. The film was a comedy, the film was a superhero action film and the film was experimental idea. Had the film been two of the three, or even two with a tiny bit of the third it might have worked. However the film tried to be three, fairly conflicting, film categories. Unfortunately that for me just didn't work.

The next film on my list was one of pure genius. Iron Man. A tale of a bad guy gone good. A scientist of the coolest nature. A major kidnap. Corruption. Weapons of mass destruction. And a cracking sound track.

As far as I'm concerned it was amazing. Now don't get me wrong, as you'll read later on it's not my favourite, and I really don't think it's the best. However it is the one film this year that incorporates every aspect of comic book heroism. No more, no less - for me that really appeals. Some reviews state that the script is too far fetched, and they're right, but isn't the whole idea of comic book hero to be the guy (or girl!) that can do the un-do-able? It's for reasons like this I really enjoyed Iron Man.

The film prospers for a number of reasons. The first is a part of film making I have a seriously, potentially unhealthy, interest in...Cinematography. I really can't think of a major scene in this film where the director of photography has wimped out and gone "paint it black". This, from personal experience is a dramatic effort. There are a few scenes, mainly those shot in a cave in Afghanistan, where little light or colour can really be seen. However, it works beautifully and I don't think you could argue that it’s a technical decision to make the production crews lives a little easier. Overall a fantastic family(ish) film which can be watched over and over.

The darkest darks, the lightest lights. The Dark Knight. My favourite film of the year. Maybe my favourite film of all time. My admiration for this film is endless; I don't even know where to start. I may as well start with a brief explanation of 'the darkest darks, the lightest lights' it isn't just a good start to a paragraph; it is also a common description of the advantages of shooting in IMAX. For those of you outside the movie geek community IMAX is an alternative to the standard film used in film productions. I won't go into the technical differences as I would like you to carry on reading and not find something else to look at, however, I will just say that it's intended purpose is to overall improve the quality of recorded footage from everything to resolution to colour, texture and tone. IMAX was used to film some of the darker and more sinister scenes in The Dark Knight.

I feel that reviewing The Dark Knight would be unjust without at least a quick mention of its prequel, Batman Begins. Batman Begins really is all about setting the scene of Batman, not just for The Dark Knight, but for any batman film, ever. The majority of the film is based around Bruce Wayne (Batman's alter ego) and his rise from childhood to becoming Batman. There really aren’t many questions left surrounding Batman and how he does what he does.
At first I found Christian Bale’s interpretation of the Bruce Wayne character very challenging. The character was depicted as a very stuck up, whining, early twenties businessman at the start of the film. Which, as you might imagine is very un-like the stereotypical Batman image. After watching the next hour or so it is obvious that this was a very deliberate decision and works fantastically! I believe it was done to emphasise the transition from Bruce Wayne – Business Man to Bruce Wayne – Batman.

The rest of the cast is full of big name actors, whom, for once seem to be playing fairly small parts. Casting both Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman gave the film something really special from both parts.
Without giving a lot of the plot away I would like to mention some of the films for technical details. The ‘multiple ninja scene’ I found really impressive. The use of dark settings and shadows without loosing much set detail. The camera edits for this scene I found spectacular. I’ll admit that it did take two watches in order for me to completely understand what had happened for Wayne to deceive his master. But if you watch carefully its not hard to see how much time and effort must have gone into every aspect of this scene.

The rest of film follows the idea of Batman’s evolution and crime fighting. The end of the film even provides a bizarre, yet very well plotted, twist. The very last scene shows Batman and Gordon (portrayed by Gary Oldman) discussing a new threat arriving in Gotham. "Armed robbery, double homicide, got a taste for the theatrical like you," says Gordon. Followed by…"He leaves a calling card." Gordon then flips over a playing card…it’s a joker.
The ending of Batman Begins and the start of The Dark Knight couldn’t be anymore perfect for each other. The Dark Knight starts of with a shot of a man in a clown mask sliding down wire-rope onto the roof top of a bank. It is here where the power of the joker can first be felt and exactly how ruthless and uncaring this villain is, the bank belongs to the mafia.

The film is a complete mind-blow of action, adventure, law and gravity stunts with a much deeper emotional, eccentric and sadistic undertones on display at all times. Christian Bale returns as Batman again in this film. As I said previously about Bale’s performance being questionable at the start of Batman Begins, this act is nothing like. You really do get a fully fledged no nonsense superhero with nothing but a bad attitude towards his enemies.
One thing that has to be said about this film is that I’ve never seen a film with what to an uneducated eye are just normal sets but, to an educated eye have some of the most complex set designs and cinematography decisions of a modern blockbuster. Every single scene has been thought about until no more ideas were possible and I think that really makes the film. I couldn’t even start to explain one scene as it wouldn’t do the others justice. I can’t stress enough how anyone that has any interest at all in movies and cinema must watch this film, Batman fan or not.

Superhero films are well known for their use of elaborate costumes for both the good and the bad. The Dark Knight is no exception. Batman really has been given the full monty, clothes, cars and gadgets. The Bat suit in the film is a proper 21st Century piece of technology. Carbon fibre, Kevlar and some substances I’ve never heard of. The role of Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman) when equipping Batman with his armoury and gadgets takes a very James Bond and Q relationship feel. Slightly love hate, but it always works in the end.

Christopher Nolan, the director of the last two Batman films, I believe, is one of the key factors to the success of these films. Nolan definitely seems to have bought Batman up to date without loosing any of the comic book magic. Nolan took a massive influence from the original Batman comics and a number of other publications from DC Comics.

The best costume decision in this film, without doubt, is that of the Joker, The Joker played by the late Heath Ledger, took on a costume very unconventional to the one shown in the original comics and earlier films. Grunge was the theme, and nothing but. This really suited the Jokers psychotic mentally ill persona. Unfortunately it was the amazing acting that produced the freak of the joker that lead to the tragic death of Heath Ledger.

Ledger was a method actor. Method acting for many, as with Ledger, involves living in the mindset of your character before and during the performance period. As you may imagine, living the mindset of a psychotic serial killer might leave you with some sleepless nights. As a result of this Ledger overdosed on sleeping pills. A tragedy, but for a performance he must be proud of.

In memory of Heath Ledger.

No Response to "Film 2008"