Self Identity: What It Means To Me...

{ Posted on 00:00 by Tom 'E' }
Task: Continue to research your concepts of self identity and what it means to you?

I found this task quite hard to interpret. Then it sort of dawned on me that what self identity means to me, must be how i interpret it as well.

I recently had a discussion with an old friend from school who is also doing a media related course at Northumbria University. He also has a module based on the idea of identity, his final piece was a stop motion animation which i think is definitely worth a look at.
Below, 'Wear Your Identity?' by Kallum Richardson:



After a bit of thinking i decided that i consider my self identity to be all the things that make me different from everyone else. What combination of things makes me different to the other person walking down the street. Is it clothing? Is it the food i eat? Is it the music i like? Whatever you choose, there's always someone that also likes it. Then it hit me, it's all of your preferences that make up your self identity. Its the clothes you wear, the music you like, the food you eat, the countries you like, the cultures you enjoy, the hobbies you do, the things that grab your attention, the films you like, then magazines you read. It's everything! The chances of another person having everything in common is almost impossible!

Now I've figured out what makes my self identity, i need a medium to show this. Initially i decided to go with a photo montage with images of things that represent all the things that make up my self identity. However i felt that this could be expanded on. So, with a similar theme, i decided to make an interactive self identity program using Adobe Flash.

The final product isn't finished yet but to give you a bit of an insight it will look a little something like this:




































The front screen of the interactive piece (left), is a picture of myself split up into 12 sections. Each one of these sections are labelled with something i feel make up part of my self identity. These included everything from photography to food. In the final product each box will link to another page with a brief description of what it means to mean and a collection of images to support it.

This is now in the production stage however more ideas do keep coming to me, hopefully it will work as well as i have envisioned.




'Wear Your Identity?'
Animation and Narration by Kallum Richardson
Audio by riddlez3

1 Response to "Self Identity: What It Means To Me..."

LOVE how you've segmented that picture into polaroids! AWESOME :) proper effective mate, like it alot.